User Interface Designer (f/m)
- Location: Berlin, Germany
- Department: Products Unit
- Type: Full Time
- Required Experience: Experienced
Background and mission
At Ableton, every feature for our desktop application is developed by a cross-functional “feature team” that is led by a feature owner (or Product Owner in SCRUM terminology). The User Interface Designer in this setting is responsible for creating the workflow and the user interface of the feature. He/she is the creative mind of the team that comes up with possible solutions for the problem to be solved.
As a User Interface Designer, you will help to bring Ableton’s product vision to life. You analyze the goals of our users, identify the critical tasks that will be done with the product and then take the lead in coming up with how these tasks should be presented to the user.
- Create high quality (i.e. usable and attractive) user interfaces in accordance to the design patterns and guidelines of the overall product
- Help to extend, evaluate and refine those guidelines
- Develop conceptual models, process flows, navigational maps and wireframes
- Help the Product Owner to understand usability implications of a task and to reduce the complexity of the user interface
- Present and discuss designs within the feature team and with your peer designers
- Work closely with the Product Owner and usability experts on user testing, helping with task creation, observing test sessions and making sure that all findings are addressed
- Collaborate with the developers to discover cost-effective solutions for the problem at hand and to make sure that designs are technically reasonable
- Collaborate with the Visual Designer to deliver an effective and attractive look and feel for the feature (or take the lead in this activity as an additional plus)
- Understand and embrace business requirements and technical constraints
To qualify for the User Interface Designer position, you need:
- At least 3 years of hands-on experience in a software product design, interaction design or user experience design role
- Outstanding creativity to deliver effective and inspiring user interface solutions for complex software applications within the constraints of a strong brand
- Expert knowledge of established and emerging user interface patterns within and outside the musical software domain
- Solid understanding of Ableton’s products and/or similar musical software
- The ability to facilitate, lead and benefit from design critique
- Good communication skills (written, diagrammatically and oral) to present and explain design decisions to non-designers
- Methodological skills with regard to agile/lean UX are a plus
- Fluent English
- Willingness to relocate - this position is permanently located in Berlin
Sounds like a great opportunity? If you meet these criteria, please submit your resume including a cover letter and your portfolio. Please let us know your possible starting date and your preferred salary.
You want to learn more about Ableton and why we think you will like it here? Go back to our jobs page.